INTERNAL AUDIT DEPARTMENT
NSABIMANA JAMES SEBI
PRINCIPAL INTERNAL AUDITOR
Internal audit has been defined as “an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organization’s operations.
It helps an organization accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and government processes” (Institute of Internal Auditors, 1999)
Objectives of the Department
Internal audit offers a continuous internal evaluation and advisory service to all council’s establishments and departments. It is specifically charged with reviewing, appraising and reporting on: -
- The effectiveness and adequacy of internal controls.
- The reliability of financial and other management information.
- The effectiveness of the accounting procedures.
- The extent to which the council’s assets are safeguarded from losses.
- Arising from fraud, waste, extravagance and mal-administration, poor value for money and other causes.
- The optimal use of council’s resources.
- Compliance with the Local Governments Act and the Local Governments financial and Accounting Regulations.